Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Note From Tauranga....

Just a little note to say that I am still here, but just completely devastated by the Rena disaster off our coast. These beaches are the ones that we are bringing our boys up on, that Jonno was brought up on and one of the reasons we live in this part of the world. The destruction caused by this ship's reefing is unimaginable and the impact on our local ecology and dare I say economy is beyond nightmarish.
It is rare that I become angry, but this is one of those times. A shipping company's accountability is capped at 14 million dollars - and our country, already ravaged financially by the Christchurch earthquake will now have to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to take care of this disaster. I do think, call me crazy, that the countries to which the shipping company pay taxes should also shoulder responsibility.
Sorry, I know this post is out of place on my blog and I promise you beautiful things for tomorrow, just not tonight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails